Wednesday, August 29, 2018

School-Age: Wordplay

As I mentioned in my update post, I will be posting all of the fall weeks prior to the session beginning.

I've planned a program teaching the kids about wordplay. This topic was definitely inspired by the book that I was super excited to share.


1. Definition
Before we jump into the topic, I will have a brief definition of what wordplay is and types of wordplay.


2. Reading
We will read "Have You Seen My Trumpet?" by Michael Escoffier. In the book there are words within words that happen to solve the question on each page. I decided to scan pictures of the pages and present them page-by-page on the powerpoint to highlight the answer within the words.


3. Brian Break: Simon Says


4. Discussion
We will talk about how the book played with words. After that we will discuss different types of wordplay (tongue twisters, puns, and anagrams) and have examples of each.


5. Craft
I found a craft on on Tea Time Monkeys to make a cardboard tube trumpet. I used their templates for the craft and printed them out on different colored pieces of paper. We will use stickers and markers to let the kids decorate them on the day of.

Here's my example:

No comments:

Post a Comment