Wednesday, August 29, 2018

School-Age: Magic of Words

As I mentioned in my update post, I will be posting all of the fall weeks prior to the session beginning.

This particular week's topic will be a little interweaving of a few things so that I could share a beautiful book but hopefully manage to keep things light considering the audience's age.

1. Reading
We will read "Malala's Magic Pencil" by Malala Yousafzai. It has gorgeous pictures and focuses on Malala using her words to make her world a better place.



2. Brain Break: Rock, Paper, Scissors


3. Discussion
We will discuss a little bit about who Malala is and then about what they would do if they had a magic pencil. Then, to turn the tables more towards the writing aspect, we will discuss different parts of a book and writing (nonfiction versus fiction and defining setting/mood/etc.).


4. Craft
I have seen lots of examples of using crayon to make a color resistant piece of artwork. So, for this week's craft, we will plan on setting out water colors and crayons and let the kids decide what they want to make. 

Here's my example:

No comments:

Post a Comment