Wednesday, August 29, 2018

School-Age: Detectives

As I mentioned in my update post, I will be posting all of the fall weeks prior to the session beginning.

By this time in the fall session it will be Halloween. I decided not to plan something that was overly Halloween themed but I did incorporate an owl into this week for a subtle nod to Halloween/Fall topics.


1. Reading
We will read "Whobert Whoever, Owl Detective" by Jason Gallaher.



2. Brain Break: I-Spy


3. Discussion
We will play a game of true/false about owls and owl behavior.


4. Activity
I found some short one-minute mysteries from "Mind-Boggling One-Minute Mysteries and Brain Teasers" by Sandy Silverthorne and John Warner that are intended for kids. I chose several to share with the kids. We will read the short mystery, share some clues to help them solve the mystery, and then give them the solution.



5. Craft
We will make an owl detective. I found a template for an owl on Slair's Lair blog. I printed the templates on cardstock and added my own detective embellishments.

Here's my example:

No comments:

Post a Comment