Wednesday, August 29, 2018

School-Age: Veterans Day

As I mentioned in my update post, I will be posting all of the fall weeks prior to the session beginning.

By this week in the program session, it will be the week leading up to Veterans Day which is a perfect time to share a book and information about the holiday.

1. Reading
For the topic we will read "Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines" by Jeanne Walker Harvey.



2. Brain Break: Simon Says


3. Discussion
We will talk about what Veterans Day (and Remembrance Day in the United Kingdom) are, who Maya Lin is, and where the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is. 

I also shared that, if they would like to visit a Veteran Memorial on Veterans Day, we have memorials locally. I shared pictures and locations of various memorials located around the area.


4. Craft
I saw tons of ways to use scrap paper to make Remembrance Day poppies so I decided that would be a fun and easy craft to do with the kids. 

Here's my example:

No comments:

Post a Comment