Wednesday, August 29, 2018

School-Age: Bird Communication

As I mentioned in my update post, I will be posting all of the fall weeks prior to the session beginning. 

Since we had a new Nerdy Birdy book come out, I thought it would be a great way to incorporate into a program about bird communication...because birds totally use twitter, right?


1. Reading
We will start off by reading "Nerdy Birdy Tweets" by Aaron Reynolds. I enjoyed the first Nerdy Birdy book better but this one is still fun to share.




2. Brain Break: Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes


3. Reading
We will read another book that will tie in perfectly to bird communication: "Froodle" by Antoinette Portis.




4. Discussion
We will discuss how birds communication. When creating the PowerPoint for the program, I made sure to focus on a variety of ways they communicate BESIDES vocally. There are plenty of other ways that animals communicate using their bodies and it is neat to learn about them.


5. Craft
The discussion on the PowerPoint ends with telling kids about bird watching as a great way to learn more about bird behavior even from their own backyard. What better way to bird watch than with binoculars? Since we can't create actual binoculars, we'll make a fun craft version of them that I found on 10 Minutes of Quality Time.

Here's my version:

I used my handprints on scrapbooking paper knowing that the kids versions will look a little less wonky since their hands are smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment