Wednesday, August 29, 2018

School-Age: Chameleons

As I mentioned in my update post, I will be posting all of the fall weeks prior to the session beginning.

There was an awesome new children's nonfiction book, "How Do Chameleons Change Color" by Alonso Garcia that came out last year. It inspired me to want to do this topic at a program.


1. Reading
We will start by reading "The Mixed-Up Chameleon" by Eric Carle.



2. Brain Break: Jumping Jacks (for 1 minute)


3. Discussion
We will have a true/false discussion about chameleons. I will also share some of the facts about chameleons changing colors from the book "How Do Chameleons Change Color?" by Alonso Garcia.


It has the perfect amount of facts and information for kids. I decided not to use it as a second read-aloud during the program but used it for the discussion.


4. Craft
I had seen a craft that used a clothespin and paper to make a chameleon puppet on Pinterest, but I could not find the original web location of it or any template. 

So I found a simple chameleon black-and-white print out from the 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 blog.

I printed them out on cardstock and cut them out. During the program the kids will be able to color their chameleons, cut them in half, and use glue dots to attach them to a clothespin.

Here's my example:

No comments:

Post a Comment