Wednesday, August 29, 2018

School-Age: Thanksgiving

As I mentioned in my update post, I will be posting all of the fall weeks prior to the session beginning.

We will only have one day instead of two days where we will present a school-age program the week of Thanksgiving because the library will be closed for the holiday. I do not like to focus on the history of the holiday but it is nice to talk about gratitude no matter the time of year. Since it will probably end up being a program that is not well attended being the week of a holiday, it's a good topic to allow for the kids to have a bit more discussion and craft time.


1. Reading
We will read "Bear Says Thanks" by Karma Wilson. Since most people that celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday nowadays spend it gathering with friends and family, this is perfect to share.




2. Brain Break: Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes


3. Reading
The next book we will read is "Thanks for Thanksgiving" by Julie Markes. It is great because it focuses on a variety of reasons to be grateful.



4. Discussion
We will give the kids time to share what they are grateful for as a group.


5. Craft
I found a neat turkey wreath craft on The Resourceful Mama blog. I prepped cardboard in rings and cut out turkey templates. I also cut strips of red, orange, and yellow paper. My idea for the craft was to have kids write things that they are grateful for on each of the strips of paper.

Here's my example:

No comments:

Post a Comment