Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Flannel Project: Crab and Leafy Tree

I had a couple projects I finished up last week for my virtual storytime (and to use for storytimes when we return to performing in-person).

Crab (and ocean-themed song):
Since my virtual storytime theme was about the Ocean, I created a crab for a song I found via Jbrary, and borrowed a seashell and a whale for the rest of the ocean animals. I focused on sign language, so I found the ASL signs for "crab", "whale", and "clam". The song is called The Waves at the Beach and is sung to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus".

The words I used:
The crabs at the beach go pinch, pinch, pinch,
Pinch, pinch, pinch.
Pinch, pinch, pinch.
The crabs at the beach go pinch, pinch, pinch,
All day long.

Additional verses:
The clams at the beach go open and shut...
The whales at the beach go up and down...
Source: Jbrary





Leafy Tree:
One of my favorite weekly movement songs is "Shakin' Like a Leafy Tree" by The Wiggles. I have used the song at every aged storytime. I can ask parents with really little ones to get super involved and lift their kids up/down for high and low. In the instrumental parts I have the kids move different body parts. It is upbeat and a great song to use regularly. Since I am keeping it in my storytimes for the next session, I thought it was about time to make a flannel to go along with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment