Thursday, January 9, 2020

Cake & Cookies

Who doesn't love cake and cookies?! There are plenty of fun activities and books about both, so we are celebrating all things sugary this week!


Books:
Who Ate All the Cookie Dough? - Karen Beaumont
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - Laura Numeroff
The Mixed-Up Truck - Stephen Savage
The Cow Loves Cookies - Karma Wilson

Activities:
1. Cupcakes (from previous Celebrations storytime)

2. What Do I Put in a Cake?
I borrowed this idea from Miss Sarah's Storytime blog. I took clip art of various cake ingredients (flour, sugar, eggs, milk, butter) as well as clip art of silly things that don't go in a cake (a shoe, a book, a car, etc.). I ended up hiding the ingredients behind the Little Mouse house's during preschool storytime to see if we could find the cake ingredients. I would show them the picture and ask if it went in a cake. Once we had all of the ingredients, we "made a cake" by doing the Pat-a-Cake nursery rhyme.

3. Pat-a-cake
Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man,
Bake me a cake as fast as you can.
Roll it and pat it and mark it with a "B",
and put it in the oven for Baby and Me!
Source: Traditional BUT I used Jbrary's video as a refresher for the movements. I ended up patting my legs and clapping my hands for the first two lines for each syllable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment