Friday, May 4, 2018

School-Age: My Little Pony

I can't take full credit for this idea - I borrowed most of it from a peer librarian. When she said her "My Little Pony" program was a huge success I figured I might as well try it at my library!


1. Reading
I read the book "Meet the Ponies of Ponyville" by Olivia London. It was difficult to find a decent "My Little Pony" read-aloud but this one worked well. 



2. Brain Break
This session I decided to add something new in the middle of our programs. I usually spend a good bit of time at the beginning of the program introducing myself, talking about upcoming programs, and going over the rules of the program. One of the parents suggested getting the kids up and moving around mid-program to alleviate them getting antsy and I thought it was a great idea to incorporate into our programs and see how it went!

I found a video on GoNoodle called "Banana Banana Meatball". I only used a few of the body patterns to get the kids up and moving. If I can find a way to make the sound play out of my presentation TV and not my computer, maybe we'll incorporate the actual video at some point.


3. Discussion
We talked about the history of "My Little Pony" over time, including the toys, the TV shows, and books.


4. Trivia
My peer librarian did a 'cutie mark' quiz with 5 to 6 of the ponies. I borrowed the idea and it was a perfect way to end the program! 


Notes:
It was a great first week back to programs (and busy), with Star Wars Fest later today to add to the return to programming excitement! 

No comments:

Post a Comment