Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Picnics

We lucked out, after over a week of rain, with some gorgeous weather. And, with the weather being as great as it is, what a perfect opportunity to use our theme this week: Picnics! 


Books:

Toddler Books:
Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure - Doreen Cronin
The Bunnies' Picnic - Lezlie Evans
Lunch - Denise Fleming

Preschool Books:
Picnic - John Burningham
Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure - Doreen Cronin
The Bunnies' Picnic - Lezlie Evans
Yes, Let's - Galen Longstreth

Rhymes/Fingerplays/Songs:

Going On a Picnic (using a basket and pictures of different items to bring) (Tune: "Going On a Picnic" by Raffi):
Going on a picnic, gotta pack a lunch,
What should we bring to munch, munch, munch?

*Each time I sang the verse, and asked the kids to sing with me, I would stop and bring a new food item out of the basket. I repeated the verse about five or six times with a variety of food items to bring on our picnic (sandwiches, salad, cookies, a banana, etc.)



Five Hungry Ants:
Five hungry ants, marching in a line, 
Came across a picnic, where they could dine.
They marched into the salad,
They marched into the cake,
They marched into the pepper,
UH-OH! That was a mistake!
AAAAAACCCHHHOOOOO!!!
Count down...4, 3, 2, 1
Source: Jbrary
*This rhyme was tons of fun and the kids loooved it!


One Whole Pie:
One whole pie, set by the door,
Cut into pieces, I count four.
Four pieces of pie all for me,
I ate one piece, now there are three.
Three pieces of pie for me too,
I ate another piece, now there are two.
Two pieces of pie, Oh! What fun!
I ate another piece, now there is one.
One piece of pie, I can't wait!
I ate that piece, empty plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment