Friday, November 20, 2015

Zentangling - For School-Ager's

This week I also planned the program for the School-Age crowd. Since Zentangling is a thing with adults, and I was a HUGE doodler throughout school (I admit, I even doodled in my graduate classes...), I knew the kids would have fun! 

1. Discussion!
We discussed what Zentangling was. The simplest definition that I came up with, from all the Zentangling books and websites, is drawing repetitive patterns. 

2. Reading!
We read several seek-and-find books. I scanned images from "Yoo-Hoo Ladybug" by Mem Fox, "The Odd One Out" by Britta Teckentrup, and "Hide and Seek" by Taro Gomi. I put them on slides, read the blurbs about what to search for, and had the kids find the objects in the images. Then I circled them on the Powerpoint presentation and enlarged the image where each object or animal was hiding. 




3. Discussion Time!
We talked about why it was more difficult to find certain objects than others.
a. Repeating patterns within the picture
b. Similar objects on the page
c. Mixing patterns on the page

Then we discussed how patterns and puzzles affect our brain. I talked about how patterns and shapes help us identify objects in the world around us. Our brain likes order so it automatically groups similar objects and shapes together.
AND, puzzles that require us to find objects stretch our memory and concentration. So, to all the caregivers that think the I-Spy books aren't good for their kids, we have debunked that thought!

4. Nonfiction Read:
We "read" a nonfiction book to bring the discussion full circle: "What in the World: Fun-Tastic Photo Puzzles for Curious Minds" by National Geographic Kids. 

I also scanned several of the camouflage animal puzzles onto the slides for more seek-and-find puzzle games.


5. Discussion!
We talked about patterns in nature and why they're important. We discussed how patterns help camouflage animals in their environment, to help them blend into the background and protect them from predators.

6. CRAFT TIME!
And we, of course, Zentangled! I made a document that had easy patterns for the kids to use as reference. Then I printed half-sheets of various shapes (hearts, diamonds, stars, triangles, circles) for the kids to use to Zentangle in and around as a starting point. 

The kids had a great time and Zentangled for quite some time. I had slight concerns that the littlest ones would not be able to do the craft but they did great. Many of the kids did doodles that I cannot rival so, all-in-all, it was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment