Thursday, March 5, 2015

Preschool Story Time Plan - Winter 2015

This is the story time plan for Preschool story times this Winter/Spring of 2015. 

I usually include between 16 to 20 elements (songs, books, flannels, fingerplays, activities, etc.) each story time. Some of the elements are extras that I have in case we need an extra stretch song or activity. 

I usually read about 3 books per Preschool Story Time, and my Preschoolers, even when there are 30 or so of them, are wonderful at sitting still through the longer books. 

Themed elements, that change weekly, are in BLUE. Everything else is a static element that stays the same every week.

You'll probably notice that some elements are very similar to Toddler Story Time. I did that on purpose, again with the repetition since many of the families come to both Toddler and Preschool story time. Also, some of my Toddlers have graduated so I don't want everything to be completely different between the two age groups. I want them to catch on quickly and not notice a huge difference between the two, while also subtly working on increasing their fine motor skills at this story time for older kids.




Preschool Story Time:

1. Opening Song + Bubble: Blue Moon by The Marcels

2. Calm Down Rhyme: Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo

Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo, Let me hear your HANDS go.
Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap. Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap.
That was good, that was fine, let me hear you one more time.
Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap. Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap.

Other verses:
Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo, Let me hear your FEET go. (STOMP)
Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo, Let me hear your MOUTHS go. (SHH)

3. Welcome and Guidelines: 

I welcome families to the library, introduce myself, and explain the story time guidelines. This has been instrumental in preventing or reducing major story time mishaps such as parents not participating or children being a little to "helpful" with my flannel board stories.

4. Themed: Letter of the Day

We draw the letter of the day. If it is appropriate, I also introduce the sign language word of the day at this point (otherwise I might wait until one of the books or activities to do sign language). For sign language words, this is a great site.

5. Calm Down: 


I wiggle my fingers, I wiggle my nose,

I wiggle my shoulders, I wiggle my toes.
Now all of my wiggles are out (CLAP)
And I'm as quiet as a mouse!

Source: ....sorry to say that I can't remember!

6. Themed: Book 1

7. Themed: Flannel or Activity

8. Movement Song: Can't Sit Still by Greg & Steve

For this song I have the kids do the sign language for the words "Can't", "Sit", and "Still", since it repeats so many times throughout the song.

9. Transition: 

Two little feet go TAP! TAP! TAP!

Two little hands go CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!
One little body TWIRLS AROUND!
One quiet body SITS BACK DOWN!

Source: Preschool Express

10. Themed: Book 2

11. Themed: Flannel Story or Flannel Counting

12. Themed: Activity

13. Transition: 

Stretch up to the ceiling, Stretch out to the door,
Stretch out to the window, And sit on the floor!

14. Themed: Book 3

15. Familiar Song: Rock-A-Bye Bear by The Wiggles

16. Closing:

I thank everyone for coming, remind them about other programs, and to check out books!

17. Book Display: 

Abracadabra, Alakazam!
Let's take a look, SHOW US THE BOOKS!

*We're trying something new this Winter Session, so I have a cart of books that I bring out for the kids. I put a magic cloth over it and, when I wave a magic wand, I have the Preschoolers recite the "magic words" with me. Then I say the second part and whip the magic cover off the books. So far it's been a big hit. 

18. Extras

I usually list several stretch songs or other activities in case the Preschoolers are feeling extra wiggly one day, or if story time is running a little short.




No comments:

Post a Comment