Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Moods

I usually like more concrete themes especially since I plan for toddler storytimes AND preschool storytimes. Toddlers have a limited attention span and rarely sit long enough for a very short book. But this week I decided to mix it up and we learned about a more fluid concept of feelings and moods. 



Books We Used:
Even Superheroes Have Bad Days - Shelly Becker
Grumpy Pants - Claire Messer
Hooray for Hat! - Brian Won


New Activities:
1. If You're Happy and You Know It 
*We used Literary Hoots feelings and emotions version of a very familiar song.*

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands,
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands,
If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it,
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.

Repeat with:
If you're sad and you know it, wipe your eyes...
If you're mad and you know it, stomp your feet...
If you're scared and you know it, hide your face...
Source: Literary Hoots

2. Happy and Sad Faces 
A few years ago one of my library assistants made a flannel of happy/sad buckets for a school-age program about the book "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" They are awesome and I did not want to get rid of them. I found stock images online of happy and sad children. I laminated the photos and put Velcro on the backs of them. Then, I had the kids help me match the emotion on the faces of the children with the happy or sad bucket. 



Additional Book Options:
Mad, Mad Bear! - Kimberly Gee
If You're Hoppy - April Pulley Sayre
Funny Face, Sunny Face - Sally Symes
Mouse Was Mad - Linda Urban

No comments:

Post a Comment