Thursday, March 5, 2015

Toddler Story Time Plan - Winter 2015

This is the story time plan for Toddler story times this Winter/Spring of 2015. 

I usually include between 15 to 18 elements (songs, books, flannels, fingerplays, activities, etc.) each story time. I typically only read two books per Toddler Story Time. My groups for Toddler Story Time can get rather large (50+, and occasionally up to 100), so my toddlers are too distracted to sit through long books or too many books. 

Themed elements, that change weekly, are in BLUE. Everything else is a static element that stays the same every week.

Toddler Story Time:

1. Opening Song: Can't Wait to Celebrate by Jim Gill

2. Calm Down Rhyme: Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo

Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo, Let me hear your HANDS go.
Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap. Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap.
That was good, that was fine, let me hear you one more time.
Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap. Clap, Clap, Clap, clap, clap.

Other verses:
Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo, Let me hear your FEET go. (STOMP)
Eeny, Minnie, Miney, Mo, Let me hear your MOUTHS go. (SHH)

3. Welcome and Guidelines: 

I welcome families to the library, introduce myself, and explain the story time guidelines. This has been instrumental in preventing or reducing major story time mishaps such as parents not participating or children being a little to "helpful" with my flannel board stories.

4. Themed: Letter of the Day

We draw the letter of the day. If it is appropriate, I also introduce the sign language word of the day at this point (otherwise I might wait until one of the books or activities to do sign language). For sign language words, this is a great site.

5. Stretch Song: Shake My Sillies Out by Raffi

6. Calm Down: Roly Poly

Roly poly, Roly poly
Up, up, up. Up, up, up
Roly roly poly, Roly roly poly
Down, down, down. Down, down, down.

Roly poly, Roly poly
Out, out, out. Out, out, out.
Roly roly poly, Roly roly poly
In, in, in. In, in, in.

Roly poly, Roly poly
Fast, fast, fast. Fast, fast, fast.
Roly roly poly, Roly roly poly
Slow, slow, slow. Slow, slow, slow.

Source: Jbrary

*My story time kids LOVE this rhyme and have started asking for it. I love watching their faces when we do the "fast, fast, fast" part because they get so into it! We always do this one at least twice before we read the first book.

7. Themed: Book 1

8. Themed: Fingerplay/Rhyme/Flannel/Activity

9. Stretch Song: Shakin' Like a Leafy Tree by The Wiggles

10. Transition: 

Stretch up to the ceiling, Stretch out to the door,
Stretch to the window, And sit on the floor!

Source: A fellow librarian. You can make adjustments to the rhyme for the features that are available in your room; but it helps get them to stretch and get ready for the next book.

11. Themed: Book 2

12. Themed: Flannel Story or Flannel Counting

13. Themed: Activity

14. Familiar Song: Rock-A-Bye Bear by The Wiggles

15. Closing:

I thank everyone for coming, remind them about other programs, and to check out books!

16. Goodbye Song + Bubbles: Good-Bye Song by Hap Palmer






No comments:

Post a Comment