Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Jungle

One of my storytime regulars requested that we do the letter "J". His name begins with "J", and in the year or two that he had been coming to storytimes, he kept waiting for his letter. So I planned a Jungle theme for him and all the other regulars whose names begin with "J". 

Unfortunately, I was only able to perform two of the six storytimes I normally do, since I was sick this week. I got hit early this year with the first cold of the season. I also leaned heavily on movement songs, because I could barely talk, so the activities below are limited.




Books:

Toddler Books:
Bedtime in the Jungle - John Butler
The Wheels on the Bus - Jane Cabrera
Tiny Little Fly - Michael Rosen

Preschool Books:
Where's My Mom - Julia Donaldson
Alan's Big, Scary Teeth - Peter Jarvis
Tiny Little Fly - Michael Rosen
Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep - Barney Saltzberg

Rhymes/Fingerplays/Songs:

I Went to the Jungle One Day (Tune: "Mary Had a Little Lamb"):
I went to the jungle one day, jungle one day, jungle one day,
I went to the jungle one day and this is what I saw:  lion  
Repeat with: Elephant, Snake, Crocodile, Monkey, etc.
Source: Liberry Becca
*I just substituted "jungle" in for "zoo."
*I used puppets and, for each animal, I had the kids respond with what animal I was holding up. Then we made the animal noises that correspond with that animal.

Five Little Monkeys (puppet + flannel)

No comments:

Post a Comment