Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Halloween

Last year's Halloween programs were so successful (one of my storytimes had over 200 people come to it!) that we expanded it to be a week-long event! Starting today and going until next Monday, which is actually Halloween, every storytime features Halloween books and activities. Each storytime will also end with a costume parade around the library as a finale.

Since there are a few more pieces and parts that go into hosting a huge event like this, I made very little variations from the Halloween program I did last year. One of my library assistants transferred to a different library where she is now full-time, so some of the flannels had to be remade. But, otherwise, our Halloween storytimes look the same.

The content may be the same, but the good thing about having done a huge program like this last year is that I learned from our mistakes! Since I can have large crowds on any day, let alone a special event, I finally got a microphone with a portable sound system this summer. It should make it MUCH easier if I do have a crowd that large at any of the storytimes this week. I also learned how to set-up the space so we do not have a bottle-neck like we did last year. 

I did not anticipate having crowds that large last year, so we bottle-necked wherever there were treat stations. I've spread out the treat stations and now they don't get a choice at each station. The station has one treat and every person that goes through the line gets that treat at that stop. 

Costumes and treats for the next week? Let the wild rumpus begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment