Monday, May 2, 2016

Project: Flip Books


As I am getting prepared for our Summer Reading Program that kicks off at the end of this month, I was struggling to find storytime themes that fit the Collaborative Summer Reading Program (CSRP) theme. This summer, the slogan is "On Your Mark, Get Set...Read".

And, thinking about sports and other active things, I'm loving the idea behind the theme. But I was having an incredibly hard time finding books about sports that are appropriate for toddlers. So...getting creative, I made my own flip books. 

I am fortunate enough to have a laminating machine at my library. But flip books can be made without a laminator - they just won't be as durable.  

Supplies I used: 
1. Laminating Sheets
2. Laminator
3. Card Stock Paper
4. Scanner
5. Binder Rings



I scanned the images from the books. Moved the images into a Microsoft Publisher document. Printed them off on heavy-duty card stock paper. Depending on the size of the image once it was printed, I cut the pages down and then I laminated them. I punched holes in them once they were laminated and then attached them with binder rings.

It may be a little clunky to use at storytime, but I was running out of options for books to use with my toddlers. There were several board books that were appropriate but they were either only printed as board books or we only had them available as board books in my library system. I felt like it was a good way to book talk the board books as appropriate for toddlers, while also enlarging the size of the book so that my larger crowds at storytimes can see the images.

Since they are only to be used for a limited amount of time, and only at storytimes for educational purposes, I felt it was an appropriate extension of fair use. I would never hand-out these flip books to patrons but I am happy to have them to use in my professional collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment