Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Five Senses

Our theme for week #4 was the five senses: sight, smell, sound, taste, and touch. This was a little more difficult than I initially anticipated because it is hard to find books that are specifically about the five senses. It was broader to find books that were about animal sounds or colors (sight) so my rhymes and fingerplays were about the five senses and the books were broadly tied into the theme. 




Books:

Toddler Books:
My Five Senses - Aliki (I paper-clipped certain pages)
Five for a Little One - Chris Raschka
Baby Bear Sees Blue - Ashley Wolff

Preschool Books:
Five for a Little One - Chris Raschka
We're Going on a Bear Hunt - Michael Rosen
Duck! Rabbit! - Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Baby Bear Sees Blue - Ashley Wolff

*We're Going on a Bear Hunt was a HUGE hit. I had the parents help me make the beating sound on their legs as I repeated the verse and had the kids and parents make each of the sounds for every object we encountered along the way. It took a good portion of storytime to go through the entire book but it was captivating and such a good time! The kids loved it and I really enjoyed performing it. Just make sure you know the book really well - it makes it more enjoyable if you know what you're going to do next (and if you can run back through each of the locations as you run from the bear!).


Rhymes/Songs/Fingerplays:

Red is the Color I See:
Red, red is the color I see,
If you're wearing red, then show it to me!
Stand up, take a bow, turn around,
Show me your red and sit back on the ground.
(repeat with other colors that the children are wearing)

My Eyes are Made for Seeing (Tune: "The Bear Went Over the Mountain"):
My eyes are made for seeing.
My eyes are made for seeing.
My eyes are made for seeing.
So I can see my world.
Other verses: Ears (for hearing), Nose (for smelling), Mouth (for tasting), Hands (for touching).

Parts of the Body:
If there is a bird you want to hear,
You have to listen with your ____.
If you want to dig in the sand,
Hold the shovel in your ____.
To see an airplane as if flies,
You must open up your ____.
To smell a violet or a rose,
You sniff the fragrance through your ____.
When you walk across the street,
You use two things you call your _____.
East and West, North and South,
To eat or talk you use your ____.

No comments:

Post a Comment