Friday, July 26, 2013

Turtle and Frogs

Well, going with the "Dig Into Reading" theme, I went with digging into a nice cool pond. At the height of summer, it's almost necessary. So we had a storytime about turtles and frogs.


This Is My Turtle (tune: "I'm a Little Teapot")
This is my turtle (make a fist)
She lives in a shell
She likes her home very well
She pokes her out (stick out thumb)
When she wants to eat
And pulls it back in (tuck thumb in)
When she wants to sleep.
source: Perry Public Library

I Have a Little Turtle (This is also a song so for my storytime I used a CD with the music as well)
I have a little turtle  (make a fist—stick out thumb)
He lives in a box (draw square in the air)
He swims in the puddles (pretend to swim)
And climbs on the rocks (pretend to climb)
He snapped at a mosquito (pinch air with fingers)
He snapped at a flea
He snapped at a minnow
And he snapped at me!
He caught the mosquito  (clap hands once)
He caught the flea
He caught the minnow
But he didn’t catch me! (shake head “no”)
source: Perry Public Library

Book: "Hi, Harry!" by Martin Waddell 




A little tortoise just wants to find a friend that moves at the same pace as himself.







Song and flannels: "Five Green and Speckled Frogs" by Raffi
               Lyrics
Five green and speckled frogs
Sat on a speckled log
Eating some most delicious bugs
Yum! Yum!
One jumped into the pool
Where it was nice and cool
Then there are four green speckled frogs (gulp, gulp)
(count down till zero)

Turtle, Turtle Turn Around
Turtle, Turtle, turn around
Turtle, Turtle, touch the ground
Turtle, Turtle, reach up high
Turtle, Turtle, wink one eye
Turtle, Turtle, touch your nose
Turtle, Turtle, touch your toes
Turtle, Turtle, slap your knees
Turtle, Turtle, sit down please
*my version but the original source: Storytime Katie

Book: "Hoptoad" by Jane Yolen




Four words: Jane Yolen is amazing.










And we had lot's of happy storytime-goers hopping along with the hoptoad to get across the street. My favorite type of storytime books are those that have a little movement and action so we can act them out during storytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment