Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ladybugs!

Yes, I did do a family storytime about my favorite type of bug--ladybugs!

I'm a Little Ladybug (tune: "I'm a Little Teapot")
I’m a little ladybug on the go,
Landing on an arm, now an elbow.
See me fly around and around your hand,
Now watch as on your thumb I land.

I’m a little ladybug searching for some toes,
But watch me quickly land on your nose.
Now you see me heading for your chest,
This little ladybug needs some rest.
source: Step By Step Child Care
**I actually cut down the original version because I felt it was a little too long to do during a family storytime.

Watch Out for the Bugs! (Movement, fun, and bugs? What's not to love?!)
Clap your hands.
Stomp your feet.
Wiggle all around
Reach up high, to the sky.
Now let’s touch the ground.
Hold your head.
Hold your hips.
Give yourself a hug.
Sit right down on the ground.
But, WATCH OUT FOR THE BUGS!!!
source: Harris County Public Library

Book: "What the Ladybug Heard" by Julia Donaldson


Okay, okay. So this one is a little long for the younger ones. It always depends on the crowd, but worst case some of the pages can be paper-clipped together to shorten it prior to storytime.

But it is a super cute story about a group of farm animals that team together in order to prevent some criminals from stealing the farmer's prize cow. Let's not forget the brain of the whole operation--the ladybug.


Ten Little Ladybugs (the ladybug version of "Ten Little Indians")
1 little, 2 little, 3 little ladies
4 little, 5 little, 6 little ladies
7 little, 8 little, 9 little ladies
10 little lady bugs.
Out in the garden they go,
To watch the flowers grow.
(and then reverse the count-down)

Ladybug, Ladybug Turn Around

Ladybug, ladybug, turn around
Ladybug, ladybug, touch the ground
Ladybug, ladybug, reach up high
Ladybug, ladybug, wink one eye
Ladybug, ladybug, touch your nose
Ladybug, ladybug, touch your toes
Ladybug, ladybug, slap your knees
Ladybug, ladybug, sit down please
*my variation, but the original version: Storytime Katie

Book: "Can You Make a Scary Face?" by Jan Thomas




SO MUCH FUN!!!! This book is amazing (as well as anything else by Jan Thomas). I can't remember the kids having so much fun as when I acted out the different actions and had them doing it with me.





Song: "Five Little Ladybugs" by Pam Schiller on Bugs, Bugs, Bugs
                    Lyrics:
Five little ladybugs dancing on the shore.
One danced away, and then there were four.
Four little ladybugs dipping in the sea.
One chased a fish, and then there were three.
Three little ladybugs admiring the view.
One skipped off, and then there were two.
Two little ladybugs bathing in the sun.
One flew home, leaving only one.
One little ladybug all alone,
She called her friends on the telephone.
They came back, now there’s five,
To dance a sing a ladybug jive.
*I made a flannel of five ladybugs, but it might be just as easy to do a countdown on your fingers.


No comments:

Post a Comment