Friday, July 20, 2018

School-Age: Whales

This week we learned about whales (specifically their songs) to tie into the CSLP theme of "Libraries Rock"! 


1. Reading
We read "Following Papa's Song" by Gianna Marino, which fit perfectly with the week's theme!



2. Discussion
I actually started the discussion off with a video about whale songs. It was a TED-Ed video by Stephanie Sardelis and was a perfect way to discuss why whales sing!


After showing the video, we talked about some of the reasons whales sing that were mentioned in the video. I also asked a few trivia questions about whales. I focused on humpback whales since they were featured in the book I read aloud, but also baleen whales that were discussed in the video.


3. Craft
Our craft was a humpback whale. I found some ideas of using paper plates to make a humpback whale on Pinterest. Most of the crafts did not have a template, but I found one on Danielle's Place for fins and a tail.

I painted the paper plates blue prior to the program and gave the kids glue dots to attach their whale parts and eyes.



Notes:
This has been one of my favorite topics this summer! I love learning new information and anything related to animal behavior is super interesting to me. The video was a big bonus and the kids were over-the-top excited to learn about whales this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment