Friday, June 29, 2018

School-Age: Homophones

Homophones are words that sound the same but have different meanings - another perfect tie-in to SRP 2018.


1. Reading
We read "Bob, not Bob: *to be read as though you have the worst cold ever" by Audrey Vernick. This was a hysterical read-aloud and the kids loved it, especially when Bob the dog came running (and slobbering). 



2. Discussion
We defined what a homophone is = words that are spelled differently and have different meanings BUT they sound exactly the same. We also played a homophone game. I showed two homophones and asked them to define them. For example = "see and "sea". They had to tell me what each of the words meant and then I showed a picture to demonstrate the meaning. 

The lesson we learned, for certain, was that the English language can be confusing!

To throw them a curve ball we also learned about homonyms. I broke down both words to the kids = "Homo" means same, "Phone" means sound, and "Nym" means name. So homophones have the same sound but are spelled differently but homonyms have the same name (aka are spelled the same). Then I showed them a few homonyms to see if they could find all the possible meanings for a word such as "bat" or "cold". 


3. Craft
I gave the kids canvas bags that they could decorate. I had made a few templates of some punny homophones they could trace onto their bags. They had the option of using the patterns I had created OR making their own creations. 

One template was of two bees. I gave the kids the punny phrase of "We love to bee together." But, they were able to have their own creative liberties with it!


The other template I made was of two pears (a pair of pears). My punny phrase was "We make a nice pair."


Notes:
This program was great fun this week and the kids loved learning about homophones! They thought a lot of them were funny and they LOVED the book "Bob, not Bob"!

No comments:

Post a Comment