Friday, February 10, 2017

School-Age: Sign Language

I enjoyed teaching about languages, with a strong emphasis on sign language, at one of my storytimes last fall, I wanted to incorporate sign language into one of my school age programs this spring. It is a little late, but this was last weeks program.

1. Reading
We read "Hands & Hearts: With 15 Words in American Sign Language" by Donna Jo Napoli. I taught the sign before I read the page and had the kids try to guess what sign I made. Some of them were spot-on! And some had guesses that were wrong but made perfect sense as well. 



Donna Jo Napoli, no matter what she writes, always tugs at your heart strings a bit!

2. Activity
Using the pictures from Baby Sign Language website, I made flash cards on card stock. On the back of each I had several clues. I made the sign and had the kids make the sign as well. Then I let them guess more signs. I gave them a few clues if they were having a difficult time guessing the sign. 

3. Craft
I found a neat craft online that incorporated the sign for "I Love You" onto cards on the Tatertots and Jello blog. Since Valentine's Day is right around the corner, I thought it would be the perfect craft if the kids wanted to give their card to someone for Valentine's Day. We also have an overabundance of scrapbooking paper that someone donated years ago that we need to find ways to use. 

It was more challenging that I anticipated for the little ones, however it was a great way for kids to practice fine motor skills with cutting and trying to trace their hands. I just have to remind myself occasionally that organized chaos is totally fine and the crafts are never going to turn out perfect when you give a group of young school-agers scissors and markers.

Below is a picture of example crafts my teen volunteers made:

No comments:

Post a Comment