Saturday, May 17, 2014

Bubbles

Never would have I imagined it would be so difficult to find storytime books about bubbles! But it was very difficult. Either the books were too long, too fact-filled, or only mentioned bubbles in passing. I wanted books that were solely about bubbles! Or a story that focuses on bubbles. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to add other books in the comments!

But, as I was set on having a storytime about bubbles, and had found some wonderful action rhymes and songs about the theme, I was set on having my bubble-themed storytime. So, I made it work!

Rhymes/Fingerplays/Songs:

Three bubbles:
A small bubble (make a circle with your hands)
A medium sized bubble (make a larger circle)
A great big bubble I see (make an even larger circle with arms)
Now let’s count them, are you ready?
1 – 2 – 3 (make 3 circles again)
POP! (clap hands loudly once)
Source: Perry Public Library

I'm A Little Bubble (Tune: "I'm a Little Teapot"):
I'm a little bubble, shiny and round.
I gently float down to the ground.
The wind lifts me up and then I drop. 
Down to the dry ground where I pop.
Source: Step by Step Child Care

Bubble Song (Tune: "Happy and You Know It")
There bubbles in the air, in the air. POP! POP!
There bubbles in the air, in the air. POP! POP!
There bubbles in the air, there bubbles everywhere.
There bubbles in the air, in the air. POP! POP!

Other verses:
There are bubbles on the floor 
There are bubbles on my toes 
There are bubbles in my hair, etc.   


Books:

1. "Pop! A Book About Bubbles" by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley


So, as I mentioned, it was difficult to find books specifically about bubbles. "Pop! A Book About Bubbles" is ALL about bubbles, but it is packed with information and some of the pages have a lot more information than you might want to discuss in storytime. A benefit of this is that you can tailor the information you read off of the pages, or you can be like me and paperclip together the pages so you only read a small portion of the book. It also might be a good book, because of the information and the length, to include for a school-age program.

2. "Bubble Trouble" by Joy Hulme


This was a cute story, but technically it is an emergent reader book, not a picture book. It worked fine for storytime, since there are not a ton of words on every page. It is also smaller (again, emergent reader book, not picture book), but with our smaller crowds at the community branch library, it worked perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment